Friday, August 24, 2007

Hills 55, 41 and 10







These hills are all named after their height in meters. Hill 55 was a large Marine firebase and Hills 10 & 41 were smaller firebases that protected the end of HappyValley through which the VC moved through to attack Danang. I spent time on all three of these firebases. The old photo is of Hill 55 in 1970. The monument is on Hill 55 and was erected by the Russians to commerate the defeat of the French in 1954. This may or may not be true. The last photo is all that remains of hill 41. It is now a brick factory. The picture through the trees is of Marble mountian which is south of Danang

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Dave: Inn 1965 I was with Mike Company 3/4 and we were based out of Hill 41 and worked with 1/1, and I believe it was Alpha Company, who was based on hill 22.
Do you have any more pictures of Hill 41 that you can post?

Thanks,
Bill Thomas

Unknown said...

Good Day Bill,

Would be interested in corresponding with you about the time M 3/4 spent on hill 41
jsciascia1@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I served with MCB74in 69 70
We built the CauDou River Bridge and most of the facilities on Hill 55

Unknown said...

I served with MCB74in 69 70
We built the CauDou River Bridge and most of the facilities on Hill 55

Unknown said...

I was on Hill 34 and on august 28-29 was on a patrol from what I believe was Cau Do Bridge searching for enemy due to intel that the bridge was to be attacked. The patrol I was in was ambushed and we lost one Marine but the area was alerted. The bridge was blown up and I believe other Marines on the bridge were also killed. Would like to communicate with other Marines who may know more info on said incident---Jose Ruiz

Unknown said...

The was 1967 August 28-29--Jose Ruiz

Unknown said...

Was on Song Cau Do Bridge May to June 1968, manned the French Bunker on the southweast side of bridge. PFC NG LEGGETT

Unknown said...

I just found this site and the discussion of Hill 41. I was with M 3/4 as platoon commander, 2d platoon in Hawaii and later into Nam. Late in 1965 I was transferred to Danang to be Co of Alpha 1/1/. Later I was reassigned as Battalion S-2-Intelligence because of my former experience. Due to some officer casualties, I was temporarily reassigned as a platoon commander attached to M ¾, my old outfit from Hawaii. M Company was led by Capt. John Keenan, my CO in Hawaii. M ¾ was headquartered on Hill 41, south of Danang. Mike Company has always been a warm place in my heart.
SF
B.F.X. Ahearn